THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO NATIONAL LANDMARKS TOUR - PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
The Tyler House, built in 1857, and the Anderson House, built in 1860, are located across Main Street from each other, just north of the creek. They both witness the Greek Revival style in their overall forms and facades, but depart from that style in certain details. Most notably, their porticoes are horizontal in emphasis, and both their design and proportions are not typically those of the Greek Revival style as seen in Texas. It is even possible that the existing porticoes are not original. The single, carved doors of the Anderson House are generally associated with Victorian architecture. Furthermore, variations in the siding used on that house,as well as differences between windows on the first and second floors (six-over-six lights downstairs, four-over-four upstairs), suggest that the house was built in several stages. The Anderson House exhibits a single-story ell with a rear porch enclosed in the mid-20th century and a one-room store built of native limestone which fronts on Main Street just north of the main house. The originally detached kitchen of the Tyler House was later joined to the main structure around 1935, and in 1971 a one-story room was added to the north side of the house to expand business space. Compatible materials were used in the addition, although it was designed so that it could be removed.